Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Hawaiian mythological spirits...

Mini-Thesis: Design Questions

  1. How does Hawaiian mythology affect the lives of those who live in and visit the islands of Hawaii?
  2. What is Hawaiian mythology?
  3. What evidence exists to support the existence of the ghosts, gods, goddesses in the myths?
  4. Of the various mythological encounters , which have been the most commonly experienced?
  5. Are there any noticeable trends in where/when these encounters take place? What are they?
  6. Has anyone really died after looking into the eyes of Huaka’i Po (night marchers)?


For this project I will research the history of Hawaii mythology, but also want to look at how these myths from hundreds of years ago are still affecting the lives of people in Hawaii. I have begun sending questions out to people in Hawaii and reading several books on the subject.

I see the product part of the project as a narrative animation dealing with this topic. I have given thought to how I would like to execute the animation in the best way to represent the feel of old Hawaii. Most likely it will involve using wooden cutouts for the characters, and backgrounds built of layered wood cutouts and illustrations. I am experimenting with the best way to do the illustrations. I started by creating my first prototype with acrylic paints on wood. But I think I may do wood burning for the lines and paint for any color I decide to add.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home