Wednesday, March 02, 2005

More recent films...

I try to keep up with my viewing log, but sometimes get behind.

Yesterday Poornima, Dave, and I went to the NYU Bobst Library and watched the McLuhan documentary. I had expected it to be something completely different than it was (something that he himself had produced), but it was very interesting seeing the collection of interviews and speeches by him. I didn't agree with everything he said - but it made you think and I'm intrigued to go back and view the other 4 videos in the series.

Tonight there was nothing good on television, so I watched the movie Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow. I had wanted to see this when it was in the theatre, but I think I was in school or something at the time, cause I never made it. Anyways, I recalled the amazing looking trailer to the film. It had this feeling of science fiction films in the 1940s, which makes sense since that is aprox the period the story takes place (circa 1939). When Kerry Conran set out to make this film, he had been inspired by many classic films and comic books. It's actually kind of funny, since the names of the characters are pulled right out of a really really bad comic book. Overall the story is nothing special, but the reason to watch this film is for the outstanding visual effects and style that they obviously went into painstaking detail to create. Though despite the lack of a really deep story, it still moves along rather quickly for a film that comes in at 106 minutes long. For style, it's going into my dvd collection.

I am so behind on my viewing. I have about 30 dvds I acquired recently that I need to watch. Hopefully I will find some time this weekend, since the L train isnt running and I am likely stuck at home - working out my "mini-thesis" ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home