Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Meme with me...

This morning I got the design for our meme project from Dave. What we decided to do was create a news article that looked like it came from USA Today featuring the story I mentioned in my previous entry here. We ran off 200 copies of this and used a variety of methods of getting the "news" out. For me, the following was my route (Heewon spread the news too)...

1. I started out putting the news article on the bench at the Morgan Ave L train station...as I waited for the train I saw someone sit down and pick it up and read it. Then they talked about it to their 3 friends. Then I saw another person look at it and put it back on the bench when the train came. So likely many more people saw it throughout the afternoon too.

2. So then on the subway I dropped it on a seat and moved down into the car more...saw 2 people looking at it before i got off the train.

3. In school I talked to 9 people on the 10th floor just pretending like I had just picked it up and was amazed by the news. I played it very cool like I was amazed by seeing the article and shared it with others. For this reason I didn't collect signatures or other forms of evidence which would have made it evident that this was a hoax.

4. I went onto every floor on the Parsons building 3 seperate times during the day and placed it in the bathroom and the elevator waiting area (totaling about 30 each time, so 90 total...and who knows how many people actually looked at it though...probably more since it was right at the sink in the bathrooms and you couldn't miss it!)

5. In the KU elevator I saw someone I knew so I told them about it, and there were a total of 7 people in the elevator that would have overheard the conversation.

6. In the Parsons elevator the same thing, but 8 people total this time.

7. Then I got a stack of Metro newspapers and inserted the article into 50 newspapers and then we handed out during the end of rush hour at the steps going down from the Food Emporium entrance to the subway in Union Square.

I understand Heewon had some interesting discussions started between some people she told the news to. People started getting all into how an explosion could definitely have triggered the earthquakes, etc.. I wish I had been there to witness that. I'm sure it was amusing.

Thats it for the meme project notes. Below is the icon I created for my identity (the reel/countdown project we are beginning):


Click above if you wish to view it larger.

As I continue on with this project I see the logo animating with the guy peddling the pedicopter and the blades rotating as he moves upward into the clouds. Eventually the clouds clear and "rise." is revealed. Or something like that.

For the countdown assignment which is due next week I'm thinking of a few ways to execute that creatively and keeping with this look. Maybe i can do a 3D move....with the numbers showing in the rotating blades of the pedicopter from an above view looking down...and at the end of the countdown the camera moves down and reveals the guy who rises up into the clouds and does the whole intro thing...





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home